Your smile is the most striking part of your face. Look in the mirror. Do you like your smile now? Can your smile be improved? Think about how you react to someone with a pretty smile. Do you find them more attractive? Will you be more attractive with an appealing smile? Orthodontic treatment will make your smile look fabulous. The remarkable smile will last for the rest of your life. Think about how an extraordinary smile will improve your life. Orthodontic treatment will also make your face look delightful. Wouldn’t a captivating face be wonderful?
Evolutionize your Smile!
About 70% of people in the US need orthodontic treatment.
You will be able to chew your food better.
- Chewing is the first step in digestion. If your teeth are not straight, you will not be able to chew your food correctly so partially unchewed food will go down to your stomach. That can give you an upset stomach
You will avoid dental problems.
- If you do not get orthodontic treatment when you need it you will have problems with your teeth for years to come; your teeth will be hard to clean. Your gums will hurt. Your teeth will wear in ways that they should not. The effects are significant enough that many adults are now going back to the orthodontist for braces.
You may avoid developing a breathing problem.
- As you get older the roof your mouth can sometimes partially block the air passages in your nose. That makes you snore loudly, and may contribute to a condition called “sleep apnea”. If you get braces you can avoid this possibility.
Why didn’t evolution/natural selection eliminate the need for braces?
10,000 years ago, in the days of the cave men people had nearly perfect bites. No one needed braces. But then adult cave men were only four feet tall. Teenagers were two or three feet (0.7 to 1 meter) tall.
In the last 10,000 years, people got bigger. People’s mouths got a little bigger but people’s teeth got A LOT BIGGER. The result is that most peoples teeth no longer fit correctly in most people’s mouths. Your orthodontist moves around your teeth and possibly stretches your mouth so everything fits correctly.
How does orthodontics work in a growing child?
You usually think about your jaw as being solid like a rock, but when you are growing your jaw is really more like clay. You can get your jaw to stretch if you apply pressure to your jaw. If you pull your jaw apart, your jaw will get wider. Your jaw does not actually stretch. Instead, your jaw grows in the direction you are pulling it. Still, the important thing is that when your orthodontist uses any orthopedic appliance to pull on your jaw, he or she redirects the growth of your jaw in a proper manner.
In the same way, if you push on your teeth, your teeth will move around in your mouth.
The orthodontist pushes your jaw to stretch your mouth so all your teeth fit and to improve your facial profile to have a more delightful face. He or she then pushes on your teeth so they are all in the proper places. If your top jaw is too small, your orthodontist can install a special gadget called a “palatal expander” to get your jaw to grow wider.
If your teeth stick out, your orthodontist can install another gadget called a “facebow” to push your back teeth back. If your In that way, your orthodontist is able to move around individual teeth and expand your jaw so that all of your teeth fit correctly in your mouth.
The Benefits of Braces for Kids & Early Orthodontic Treatment
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Improve the way the lips meet
Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.