Orthodontic Retainers Care Instructions
- The removable appliances are carefully designed to move or to hold your teeth. It is important that it is worn according to instructions and brought to each appointment.
- Wear your appliance at all times, even while you are asleep. It may be removed while eating, swimming, or playing vigorous sports activities. In two or three days your speech will return to normal with the appliance in place. Avoid flipping your appliance with your tongue. This can cause damage to your teeth or breakage of your appliance.
- Your new appliance may make your teeth sore for a day or two, especially after an adjustment. If you have a sore spot on your gums call one of our offices at Woodbridge or Ashburn so that we can adjust the appliance.
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and soft soap. Denture cleaner can also be used for a more thorough cleaning. If you are wearing a bonded wire retainer behind your front teeth, be extra careful to clean the wire and the area around it.
- Flossing should be done every day. Use room Temperature water. Brushing retainers remove the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- Avoid wrapping your appliance in a paper napkin or tissue and set it down on the table. You or someone else may throw it away. Don’t put your appliance in your pocket when playing or you may break or lose it. Whenever it is not in your mouth it should be in its plastic appliance case.
- Keep your appliance away from dogs or cats as they love to chew on them. Avoid storing them near any source of heat. Do not boil your retainer to sterilize it! If needed, bring it to the office and we will be happy to disinfect it for you.
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately. An additional charge will be incurred for lost or broken appliances.
When to Call
If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
Woodbridge: (703) 897-6453
Ashburn: (703) 726-6561